Skip to content

Voting on Local, State, and National Issues

Under the supervision of the Town Clerk, Hawley participates in a number of state-wide and local voting and election events per year. This page contains information on all of them.

Hawley follows state procedures for primary and general elections. It also holds an election each May before the Annual Town Meeting. That election usually has shorter hours than primary and general elections, beginning in late morning rather than early morning.

The Town Clerk and Assistant Town Clerk hold extra hours in the periods just before elections. The town clerk is assisted by three additional registrars of voters. They are currently Melanie Poudrier, John Sears, and Daniel Hoyt. The Clerk also recruits and trains election workers.

Register to Vote Online

Here’s how to register or pre-register for state elections and primaries online. This same process will also make you eligible to vote in ALL elections including local elections and town meetings. You may also visit the Town Clerk during normal office hours to register.

Qualifications for Voting

In Hawley, a voter must meet the following qualifications to register to vote:

  • Must be a U.S. Citizen.
  • Must be a Hawley Resident.
  • Must be at least 16 years old (and must be 18 years old to be eligible to vote).
  • Must not be under guardianship that prohibits registering to vote.
  • Must not be temporarily or permanently disqualified by law from voting because of conduct practices in respect to elections.
  • Must not be currently incarcerated for a felony conviction.

For further details, contact the Town Clerk.

Disabled Voters

Permanently disabled voters may obtain a note from their physician which should then be mailed to the Town Clerk/Board of Registrars to permanently request an absentee ballot application. An application for an absentee ballot will be automatically mailed to the disabled voter 28 days before each election. If the permanently disabled voter completes the application and requests all ballots for that calendar year be mailed to him/her, the application will not need to be mailed for each subsequent election that calendar year; a ballot will be mailed automatically. Please note that a new absentee ballot application will need to be completed each election year.

Uniformed & Overseas Citizens

The Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) states that any military Service member, eligible family member or overseas citizen may be eligible to vote absentee. The Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) encourages Service members, their eligible family members and overseas citizens to submit a new Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) every January to ensure they can participate in upcoming Federal elections. The FPCA (SF-76) allows you to apply to register to vote, request an absentee ballot, and/or update your contact information with your local election official, the Town Clerk. Hard copies of the form are also available at embassies and consulates, and military bases around the world.

Voting assistance for Service members, their families and Overseas citizens:

Back To Top